Expert Advice – Sunless Tanning
What is Sunless Tanning?
Although this is the popular way of referring to this practice, clearer terms to use would be “spray tanning” or “UV-free tanning. The term generally refers to the use of chemicals to yo4r skin in order to produce a look similar to that of a sun tan.
How to Prepare for Your Session
Preparation is more important for sunless tanning than any other type of tanning. If you don’t prepare, you simply won’t have a good experience or you’ll end up with a tan that doesn’t look as good or last as long as you would like. Follow these steps to best prepare for your session:
- Be prepared to wait for results – the full effects of spray tanning gradually develop over time. Don’t get your tan the same day you need to have a certain look – allow at least a day or two for sunless tanning to take effect.
- Do shave or wax, but make sure to do so 24 hours prior to your appointment – Your skin pores need time to close prior to your appointment. If they don’t get 24 hours, they may still be open, and the resulting tan you receive will be spotty.
- Exfoliate – If you don’t take the time to exfoliate, you run the risk of not getting a good tan or having it come off in patches later on. Do this 24 hours before you have a spray tan performed. Make sure to be extra thorough in areas where you are likely to have dead skin build up, such as your elbows, knees, and ankles.
- Make sure you have very clean skin – The key to a great spray tan is having clean skin. Make sure to shower the same day of your tan to remove any and all substances from your skin. Any foreign substance on your skin acts as a barrier to you getting your best tan. Make sure your skin is free of moisturizers, deodorant, and perfume. We also recommend you shave.
During Your Session
If you haven’t experienced sunless tanning before, here’s how you can expect the process to work:
- The session lasts 60 seconds
- We will supply you with a skin primer, hair net, and barrier cream for you to use.
- The results are under you control – what you experience depends on how long you wait to shower after your sessions
- We have a variety of sessions available depending on the color/results you desire
How to Extend the Life of Your Sunless Tan
Follow these tips to make your sunless tan last as long as possible:
- Wait as long as you can to shower – You should wait at least 4 – 12 hours. When you do shower, make sure you only rinse off the bronzer by only using a mild cleansing body wash. Make sure it does not contain AHA (alpha hydroxyl acid), as this acid can ruin the look of your tan.
- When you do shower, make it short – And, if you have to use a washcloth, make sure it’s a soft, smooth one. Ideally, however, you will just use your hands. When you’re finished showering, pat you skin instead of rubbing it dry with a towel. The towel can take your tan right off.
- Avoid chlorine – It can remove your tan entirely, or at the very least reduce its life. Stay away from the pool and hot tub, and if you can’t resist either, remember to moisturize your skin thoroughly first. You will still probably experience some fading, however.
- Moisturize regularly – Moisturizer is your best friend. It’s the single most effective product for increasing the life of your tan. Apply it every morning and evening, and again make sure it does not have AHA.
- Be careful during exercise – Sweat and friction cause premature fading or uneven fading. When you do exercise, wear loose clothes. Make sure all undergarments fit tightly. If they’re loose, the sweat that accumulates beneath the undergarment can act as an exfoliant.
- Use our aftercare spray – We do sell body washes that extend the life of your tan. These washes are more effective than the ones you can buy in the store. Talk with one of our tanning consultants for full details.
If you’d like to learn more about sunless tanning and how it works, we recommend viewing the VersaSpa video above.